To achieve a climate neutral economy, the share of renewable electricity will have to increase to account for 80% of the European energy mix. The renewable-based electrification of all key sectors of the economy will be crucial. As the European solar sector has entered a new growth era – with over 80% growth year-on-year for 2019 and more than 20 GW annual growth by 2023 – now is the right time to support the growth of a robust European solar industry.
What could an industrial policy for solar look like? How can Europe become an industrial leader for solar? How can smart strategies be developed to preserve a cost-efficient and affordable energy transition? How can we ensure that an industrial policy and the European Green Deal go hand-in-hand?
Keynote speech: Thierry Breton*, Commissioner – Internal Market, European Commission
Moderation: Michael Schmela, Executive Advisor at SolarPower Europe
• Kim Jorgensen, Head of cabinet, European Commission
• Jochen Hauff, Director Corporate Strategy, Energy Policy & Sustainability, BayWa r.e. renewable energy
• Christian Westermeier, Chair of the Industrial Strategy Taskforce, SolarPower Europe
• Aristotelis Chantavas, Head of Europe, Enel GP
• Cristian-Silviu BUŞOI, Chairman ITRE Committee, European Parliament/span>
• Jürgen Reinert, CEO, SMA